Monday, August 18, 2008

Andrew's First Tractor Ride


Andrew got to ride in a tractor for the first time this last weekend. Kate had been on a tractor before, clear back when she was about 4 months old, but I doubt she remembers that so it could count as Kate's first tractor ride too. They both thought it was way cool. I mean, how many little kids do you know that get to ride in a tractor that is actually moving and doing harvest work? I still think it's really neat when I get to ride in the tractor. My first experience was when Jason and I were engaged and I drove up to his house during harvest time. Well, the only way I could spend time with him was if I sat in the tractor with him while he worked. That doesn't sound too bad, right. Well the tractor only had one seat and you can guess who got to sit in that. There was a little ledge off to the left side of the driver's seat that I sat my tush on for 8 long hours. Now the fields aren't exactly smooth like your typical road. No, they are really bumpy and so the driver's seat has what you could call "shocks" on it so it bounces up and down with the tractor...they don't make the little ledge next to the drivers seat quite so accommodating. My poor behind was soooooo sore. It really is crazy what you'll do when you're newly in love, isn't it? Anyway, the tractor that we rode in this weekend actually had a second seat, no shocks, but at least there was some padding. That made the ride much nicer for me especially since I had a kid on my lap this time. Andrew was sitting on me and Kate was able to sit with her dad because this tractor had a cool GPS system in it. I'm not exactly sure how it works but Jason could just push a couple of buttons and then let go of the steering wheel and the tractor would drive itself. So you're thinking, "If the tractor drives itself, why do you need a driver at all?" My thoughts exactly, but I guess you still need someone in there to dodge big rocks, risers, and holes and to turn the thing around at the end of the rows.




Speaking of holes...so we're riding along and I look up at all the warning stickers plastered everywhere in the cab (so John Deere doesn't get sued for not telling you not to lay down under the tires while the tractor is moving...actually there wasn't a sticker for that, but given the society we live in now days, I'm surprised that wasn't up there too) and I see a buckle your seat belt sign with a stick figure guy flying out of the side of a tractor that is tipping over sideways. I thought, "That's kind of a funny picture. I wonder how hard it would be to tip one of these over." Well, not ten minutes later we hit this ginormous hole in the field that was very well hidden. Now the tractor didn't tip over, but I can see the wise use of the seat belt. (Sadly I don't think the little side seat had one anyway...I guess they figure that the person who isn't driving is disposable.) I went flying forward and in an attempt to not squish Andrew up against the windsheild, I leaned into the fall and put my head forward. The momentum firmly planted it on the windshield for me and then I was thrown back and my rear hit the driver's armrest. I can just imagine how it looked if someone had been watching...I probably looked like one of the bugs that gets spattered onto your car windshield only I was on the inside splattered against the glass. Nobody was hurt (except my tush), the kids were a bit shaken up but got over it pretty quickly. However, once again, after Jason was done tractoring, I got down from the tractor with a pretty sore bum. But all in all it was a good ride and the kids loved it and would go again in a heartbeat. I must say, it is pretty fun being able to see these huge machines at work up close. They are quite amazing.



Grain in the tractor tracks.
I thought it was pretty cool looking.

6 comments:

janae said...

It drives ITSELF???? Wow. That is some tractor. I'm glad you weren't literally splattered on the windshield like a bug!

Bryan, Rachel, Ben and Tyler Nichols said...

Wow, what a fun tractor! It's fun to hear little kids be so excited about big tractors.

Belnap Family said...

How fun. My kids would totally love that too! I love your stories, they're so funny.

Sharee said...

I love these pictures! You have such a cute family.

Lisa said...

How jealous Daxton would be of Andrew. By the way you crack me up.

Perkins said...

Ha Ha Sorry last comment was from me!OOooops. My Bad!