Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Night Owl

Andrew has been pretty miserably sick for about a week now. He's had a faucet for a nose and has this terrible sounding mucky-lungs cough. Two nights ago I was up 5 (yes, FIVE!) different times with him. I felt like a had a newborn again. Last night I was up 4 times, but one of the times is definitely worth writing down.

I am awakened by Kate moaning/whining in her room, which was strange cause she doesn't get up in the night really anymore. I think the worst, "Oh no, she threw up." But luckily I am very wrong. I come out of my room to see Andrew's bedroom light on and him sitting in his chair surrounded by a pile of books. He looks up at me wide awake with the deer-in-the-headlights look. I'm still trying to figure out what is going on, so I head down the hall and find the living room lights on with the little time-out chair from the kitchen next to the front door underneath the light switches. I turn those off and put the time-out chair back in the kitchen only to find that the backyard floodlight is on and the whole backyard is lit up like day. (Sorry, backyard neighbors.) I turn that off. My best guess is that he used the time-out chair for that light switch before advancing to the living room. At that point, I hear Kate again and wander back down the hall to her room and she sleepily whines at me, "Why did you close my door loud and wake me up?" I tell her that it was probably Andrew closing her door and that she's fine. I give her a hug and move on to the perpetrator's room. He's still frozen in his chair when I make it back in there. The whole scene was just too weird and slightly humorous, so I really don't feel like getting mad at him. I just tell him to get back in bed and not wander around the house turning lights on again. He says, "Okay." (I'm pretty sure he didn't really pick up what I was putting down, but as parents, sometimes you just feel better telling them what is expected anyway.) I head back to bed...finally. Now from the looks of it, my thoughts are that he was up for a good 45 min. to an hour with all of the "work" he had done around the house + the number of books he had scattered all around him. What a little turkey.

(At least I wasn't up that entire time.)

This was obviously not taken last night, but as you can see, Andrew has always been a book "reader" and scatterer.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

That's a great story...hope you get more sleep in the nights to come!

janae said...

Seriously, that must have taken him FOREVER. I am definitely cracking up about that one. What a funny kid!

ps. I love your title thing. Super cute!
pps. Of course you can use 'he said, she said'. It works perfectly with your kids!