Thursday, February 12, 2009

The Phone Thief

Today was quite the interesting and eventful day. Kate had her Valentine's Day party with her preschool class, so I sent her out the door with a bunch of candy to give away and she came back home with a bunch of candy to keep. She was thrilled about that. Now it is my job to confiscate it all and ration it out slowly, like the Halloween candy that we are still passing out for treats after they eat their dinner.

For lunch, I got to go spend some time with some friends and let my kids run around and play. They have been so stir crazy being inside all the time with the snow and cold that giving them a chance to play was a welcome treat for all of us. However, we ended up staying until well past Andrew's nap time and so I decided to fore-go the nap and planned on getting him to bed early.

So here I was at 2 something o' clock and I was all being a good mom and dressing my kids up in their layers upon layers of snow gear so they could go outside and play because the sun was out and it wasn't sub zero temperatures and there weren't any ridiculous wind gusts (this was a rare window of opportunity). Kate goes to put on her gloves and rips the zipper right off. Now I was previously quite unimpressed with these gloves that had already popped a seam the first time she wore them, but this was the last straw. So I unlayered the kids and put them in the car to drive across town and attempt to return the gloves to Target. Surprisingly, they gave me a refund for them (they have a rather Nazi-ish return policy, I've noticed). Then I set out to find Kate some new gloves. Um, yeah, trying to find children's SNOW gloves (not the wimpy knit ones) in February in Idaho Falls is practically impossible. I dragged the kids around to 7 different stores before finding the only existing gloves her size left in the entire city at Big 5. Whew. By then it was dinner time so I rushed home and whipped out dinner. Jason played monster with the kids for a while then it was off to bed. I read Andrew his story and put him to bed. It wasn't until about an hour and a half later that I tried to find my phone and couldn't. I had Jason call my phone and to my horror, realized that the ringing was coming from Andrew's room and I thought for sure it would wake him up. Nope. In fact, I couldn't believe it when I walked in and was trying to listen for it. He had somehow snatched it during or after story time and had it snuggled up in his arms under his body and was now dreaming away to a Led Zepplin song that was blaring at full volume from his chest area. Jason & I jostled him around enough to recover my stolen phone. That kid didn't even flinch. He was so wasted from playing and shopping and no napping that he was completely dead to the world. I was glad I didn't have to deal with a delirious toddler. But I still have no idea how he managed to kidnap my phone without my knowing. I swear kids are getting more and more whiley these days. If he can pull that off at two, who knows what I'm going to be facing when he's a teen....oh, man.


This is Andrew when I got him home from shopping and put him on the couch. This is the position in which he sleeps and he was tired enough to assume this position outside the comfort of his room...this has never happened previously. So just imagine trying to pry a object clutched underneath that little chest right there without waking up the subject pictured above. Miracle.


This picture was taken after Kate demanded I take one of her because I took one of Andrew. He was sleeping on the couch so she had to go and retrieve her pillow and a blanket as well.

P.S. Just a side note. I had a humorous little exchange with Andrew the other day that went like this.

Me: Drew, you're funny.

Andrew: I not funny. I a guy.

And there you have it.


Feb. 13, 2008:
So I just had to add that I had to go comfort a crying Andrew in the middle of the night last night as he was sitting up in his bed sobbing, "Where's phone? Where's phone?!" I totally didn't see that one coming.

6 comments:

Sharee said...

It was great to catch up on your blog. I have been having a hard time with the whole blogging thing myself. Not that I don't like it but finding the time to sit down and stare at the computer has been rare since I started my own business.

janae said...

Who knew that 'funny' and 'guy' were not synonymous?? I always thought guys were actually funnier than girls. (Don't tell any female comedians I said that, but they really aren't as funny as the guys.) What a cute boy! And I am sooo glad he didn't wake up. Don't you hate when you shock em and then they are all upset for a long time? Ugh. And, for the record, I'm super impressed you found gloves in February. They already have the bathing suits out!

Stacy Lynn Carroll said...

Krishele- I have to admit I frequent your blog from other's in the old ward and decided it was about time to come out and comment. Sounds like you had quite an adventurous day! I have so much to look forward to!

Heather said...

It is so amazing what kids manage to "pick up" and then remember (like wake up and can't find it because mom confiscated it) -- and then all the things they also "pick up" and forget about (especially when mom needs that item right now -- like car keys). I'm just glad I'm not the only one with that difficulty :-)

The Nicolaysens said...

That's so funny about Andrew! He is quite the skilled thief! There's just something about cell phones and kids, Eden can't get enough of mine either.

Kristine said...

Aww, I hadn't been to your blog for awhile and it was so fun to read what you've been doing! I loved the story about leaving right then to return the gloves and find more. Sometimes if you don't do it right then, it will never happen! And that's funny and cute that Andrew woke up upset that the phone was gone. Hope he feels better soon!