Tuesday, November 2, 2010

I Don't Get Him

Yesterday ended up having a total of four pant changes for my son.  Today, he woke up all excited for preschool, but when the time came to go, he didn't want to.  I told him he could go or take a nap instead.  He opted for a nap and has been laying in his bed now, awake, for about 2 hours.  He even knowingly missed show and tell today.  I don't understand my child, at all.  Is all this just his way of demanding control of something?  Nothing consistently motivates the kid. God is the only one who really knows him and I've been attempting, unsuccessfully, to "pick His brain" for ideas on how to help him help himself.  I've been working on this potty training thing forever...he's been in underwear about an entire year now and we still had four substantial accidents yesterday.  What am I missing?  What need of his is not being met?  How do I find out where I'm going wrong as a parent?  Only God has the answers on this one and I'm waiting on the day when He sees fit to reveal them to me in some form or another.  I just hope I don't miss it when He does.  Perhaps I already have.  This is certainly a time in my life where I am trying desperately to learn to be patient and trust in the Lord's time.  This goes for the selling of my home, as well.  It is one of the harder things I've had to learn...I'm very slow at it.  I'm glad God has patience with me as well.

4 comments:

Brittany said...

i love you. bring him to me and take a break.

Scott and Gabby said...

The wonders of potty training...... ;) Kina has been going to the potty on her own since before she was 2 without us even trying. She will be 4 the end of this year and once a day she pees a little in her underwear and has to have them changed. I don't know what to say to help you!!!!!

janae said...

I'm so sorry! Potty training, house selling, moving, you must be so overwhelmed. I'm sure things will settle down eventually. (No kid wets his pants in high school, right? At least not intentionally. ;) I love you!

Sharee said...

Andrew is probably just sensing all the changes that are occurring or are about to occur. Ryker has been acting out several times a week for no apparent reason... I think you are right about Andrew trying to demand control over something. I understand how frustrating it can be when you have so many other things going on. Hang in there, you are a great mom!