I'd been having a pretty crazy month and for some reason it all seemed to catch up with me at once. Even Jason saw that something had to give and that's saying

a lot since guys are not typically known for their ability to read a woman's emotional status. In fact, it was him that suggested that I take a night off. So he booked a hotel room at the Red Lion Hotel next to the river on priceline.com last Thursday night since he had Friday off. So Thursday, he got home at around 5:30 pm and I was off duty. I drove over to the hotel to check in and I was given a room in a little building next to the tower that wraps around the outdoor pool. I was on the 2nd floor and there was no elevator to get up there so I assume that the 2nd floor is not "all access" friendly. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big advocate of taking the stairs when I can but the point was that I didn't even get a choice. Oh well, not a big deal. So I finally found the stairs and then my room. My door and window were facing the oh so gorgeous roof of the hotel restaurant. I figured, "What could I really expect getting the cheapest room we could off of priceline?" But I was determined to have a good time anyway. After all, I was still off duty and that was the point of the whole thing. I walked in the room and the shades were drawn so I couldn't see much of anything but I was instantly overcome by the smell. Now this wasn't your typical musty hotel smell, this was a the-first-thought-that-comes-to-m

ind-was-I've-got-to-get-a-window-open-asap smell. It smelled a lot like cigarette smoke, but I had called the hotel previously to ensure a non-smoking room and they informed me that it was a non-smoking facility. So I second guessed myself until I went over to the nightstand and turned on a lamp and saw an ashtray sitting there with residual soot in it. Ok, so there was a time in my life that I would have just sucked it up and not said anything in the name of not bothering anyone, but that ship has sailed. (That can be good or bad....depending on the situation, I suppose) I called up the front desk and informed them of the incriminating evidence and smell. They told me that they were "so sorry and that we will see about getting a new room." Well, I ended up being upgraded to the top floor of the tower in one of their deluxe rooms. Not what I was looking for, but hey, I wasn't going to refuse it. I find my new room (and yes, this time there were elevators...and I took one because I wasn't going to climb up 8 floors of stairs) and open the door and wah-laa.....beautiful! I couldn't stop the huge grin that was creeping across my entire face. The room had two queen size beds (not that I could use both of them, but it was cool nonetheless) and a balcony, a flat screen TV, a microwave and fridge, and granite counter tops in the bathrooms. Nice. Not to mention that the sham

poo, conditioner and soaps were yummy smelly ones from Bath & Body Works. Bada bang I hit the mother load and I didn't even have to try! I must admit that for the first little while I had to keep chasing away the thought that they might change their minds and kick me out of that room and put me back in the other one claiming that perhaps it didn't stink
that bad and I was just being picky. (For the record, it did stink that bad.) Once I got over that I used an entire bed to plop all my stuff on and then headed out to Wendy's for a Mandarin Chicken Salad, which was really good, I'd recommend it, without having to harp on two kids to stop dinking around and start eating. I'm sure I might have looked kind of peculiar sitting there by myself. I must admit, it felt slightly peculiar, but I rather enjoyed it. I didn't have to talk to anyone. I got to listen to conversations around me. One older couple, in particular, was quite entertaining and I even chuckled out loud a couple of times. As I went to leave, sadly, one of them tipped their drink over and it spilled all over the lady. Sad but perversely funny. Anyway....
I then took a nice leisurely walk on the greenbelt. Once again, not having to holler a

t kids to "Get back over here!" or "Don't pick up the goose poop!" I walked down by the Shilo Inn and started back just as I realized the sun was about to set, so I picked up the pace a bit and got up to my room and rolled a chair from the desk in there onto the balcony just in time to watch the sunset. Aaahh, this is living! After the sun sunk below where I could see it, I called Chili's and ordered a Molten Chocolate Cake for take out to pick up later. So I got on my swimming suit and headed down to relax in the big whirlpool. And as luck would have it, I was the only one in there, so I got a cold cup of water and even got to turn the lights off so I didn't feel like I was in a fish bowl. It was really nice. After that, I picked up my dessert and went back upstairs to succumb to chocolate bliss and late night TV. I had to get a little creative to warm up the molten cake since I didn't have a plate handy and they give it to you cold. But it's all good.
My Most Favorite Dessert:
Chocolate Molten Cake from Chili's
I got to sleep in until 8:30 and could leisurely get out of bed at my own pace. I got to eat breakfast without any shrieking or crying and I got to go exercise without any emergency breaking up of fights because Andrew was standing in front of the TV and Kate couldn't see the cartoons so she decided to tackle him. Yeah, none of that. I then got to take a shower without anyone banging on the door. I ate a little snack in front of the end of the movie
What Lies Beneath and then I packed up and drove back into real life.
Now, don't get me wrong...I love my kids and my husband. I would actually probably start to miss the chaos and noise of my kids if it went away all together, but it was so, so, so, so, so, so, so nice to get a break. I know that I am so blessed and I really am so very thankful for a wonderful husband that is willing to let me have a night off to myself. What a sweetheart.
As I was leaving Thursday night to go to the hotel, Kate was whining that she wanted to go to and that she didn't want me to leave her. Jason summed it up pretty well for her. He said, "Mommy has to go and have some time to herself so she can be a better, happier mommy." Kate was ok with that explanation and she should have been because that is the total honest truth of it.
This building is to the north of the tower
My original room was in the closer circular part
right up against the back of the restaurant...lovely :)
8 comments:
I am so glad that you were able to have some alone time. You are always welcome to call me when you are having a bad day. I am a good listener. I also would be willing to take your kids for an hour or so to give you a break during the day if you need it. Let me know if you ever want a girls night out but don't want to be alone. I am always up for a few hours away. I agree that time to ourselves help us to be happier moms to our children.
I loved reading about your break from reality. You were so lucky to get a stinky room and then be upgraded! Nice! You have a great husband to notice when you needed a "vacation"!
So nice just to take a breath and let it last for a really long time. I am glad you got to go do this. What a nice hubby.
How Fun! We all know how great a break can be.
How Fun! We all know how great a break can be.
What a wonderful night! That is sweet you got upgraded too. So how did you warm up that molten cake (I see a blow dryer in the background...)
At this exact moment your vacation sounds particularly nice ... if Sam weren't here I might be tempted to throw some of my offspring out the window. I guess we all have our days! :)
That sounded wonderful! Especially the part about the chocolate molten cake. I know how much you like that. :) I am glad you got a break and that Jason was the one who suggested it! you are an awesome mom!
Post a Comment