Kate was over 3 when we started with her because we moved from Utah to Idaho and then added Andrew to the family. So things had to wait for her so there wasn't any major regressing. Well, anyone who knows Kate knows that she is....well....a tad headstrong....yeah, just a tad. So it wasn't that she wasn't understanding what we wanted her to do, it was her little control freak self not wanting to do what we wanted her too. She was understanding very well what was expected by half way through the first day of training, she would go in the potty often, but just wanted to remind us who was really in control and would purposely have an accident here or there just to prove she could still choose to do whatever she wanted. Going #2 was another story entirely. She didn't get that one for another 3 weeks (once again, the control thing). We tried everything! But she would fight us every time we asked her to use the bathroom. Possitive reinforcement didn't work. "You'll get a treat if you use the potty..." She'd reply, "I don't want a treat" and that was that. We tried threatening, spanking, everything. Finally a lady in my ward, bless her heart, had an idea that would make her control freakishness work in our favor. She told us, "If she doesn't want to earn her treat, then you eat it in front of her." Sounds cruel and unusual, but it worked. Kate couldn't stand watching someone else eat a treat that was supposed to be hers! So after a nightmarish first week, (besides the #2 thing, as previously mentioned) she started to cooperate almost 100%. Whew. Because of this ordeal, I have been dreading potty training Andrew from the second we started on Kate.
Now Andrew doesn't have the same stubborn streak as Kate. Yes, he knows how to work it with the word "no," but extreme stubborn moments are few and far between. I had high hopes that Andrew would be (had to be) eaisier. Blah, blah, blah. I knew we were headed for some trouble when the first time that timer when off and we excitedly sang "It's potty time!", he immediately burrowed his brow and said, "no!" With normal kids, this gets them excited. He didn't even know what potty time was at that point. Perhaps he was just bugged by how stupid we all looked chanting it all together overenthusiastically. Whatever it was, it just got worse throughout the day. After a day and a half of taking him to the potty every 20 minutes, after having to chase after him running way every time the bell rang, we had caught only one pee in the toilet and that was early the first day. We made a big deal out of it but he didn't seem to connect it. I could tell that Andrew wasn't not going on the toilet out of spite. I seriously think that he just didn't "get" what we wanted him to do. It's his "whatever goes" kind of attitude. Through all of this I was (and still am) fighting a terrible head cold and felt miserable, but I figured if we didn't do it now, we'd just keep putting it off. Anyone who knows me, knows what a perfectionist I am and that getting an A- in school was like failing because it wasn't a straight A. So the idea of quitting has been a hard one to swallow. Now, quitting is kind of a harsh word for it...so I'll just say we are postponing it until he becomes a little more mentally aware of what is going on around him. I thought I'd never be the parent who would say, "he's just not ready" about my kid on this subject. According to the book, he is overdue and should be able to be potty trained. But seriously, I don't care if this lady has worked in daycare and potty trained like 300 kids...they weren't my kids. And what is the point of going through weeks of misery and frustration if perhaps it will just take a few more months of developmental grown on Andrew's part before he will just "get" it and take off with it. That's my hope anyway.
I know, I know, you say, "That was only a day and a half....really Krishele?" But this was a day and a half of complete emmersion in all things potty. Every minute was centered around getting him to pee on the toilet...and not to mention the energy it takes to not get mad about changing wet briefs and puddles on the floor every 5-10 minutes and then be all happy and enthusiastic about the "It's potty time" bell going off just to have to chase him down and drag him kicking and screaming to the toilet. Plus, how tired my hiney was of sitting on the side of the tub next to the toilet reading book after book. Wow, it brings back a bit of anxiety just thinking about it. I think I paid my potty training dues and the kid just wasn't on board. What can you do? Give it some time, I guess. Only time will tell. Until then, I will try my best not to be too bitter every time I have to go to the store to buy a big ol' box of diapers.
Current Wordle
9 comments:
Sorry, I have to laugh! i can just see the little stinker. I'm glad for your own sanity that you are going to wait. It isn't giving up, it's just waiting until he is ready so it isn't so hard on all of you. Love you.
I agree that you should wait. Although I can see that method working on some. I'm sticking to the slower method of taking his diaper off and "trying" when he's happy about it. I will get excited when he gets something out but I also want him to like the idea of sitting there and having nothing happen.
Jason said I over dramatized Andrew's response to the potty timer. Ok, so we'd drag him kicking and screaming until we would say, "Do you want a gummy bear?" and he would say, "Bear." And then sit on the toilet nicely listening to a story and NOT peeing. We'd go through this every 20 min...toward the end, I think the gummy bear wasn't quite doing it for him anymore. So there you have it...the undramatized version.
Can I tell you what I REALLY think? Good. :) Everyone seems to have this idea that their particular child is "stubborn" and will do the opposite when the are told to do something because they are "strong-willed", etc, etc, blah, blah. But the more toddlers I see, the more I think, those aren't personality traits. Those are just characteristics of toddlers who are learning about independence and are experimenting with it. Your sweet baby Andrew, and my angelic child Seara, are proof of that. Darling babies, who turn into surprisingly rebellious toddlers. (Who we still love to pieces.)
And I honestly think that potty training is only easy on .009% of the population, and those books just happen to use the rare positive results to prove their point. Plus, the book that I read for Seara and the book you read for Kate aren't really potty training books - they are PARENT training books. You are the one that has to do all the work. Not the kid. To me, a kid is potty trained when they are playing, decide they have to go to the bathroom, walk in there, climb on the toilet, go, wipe, flush, wash their hands, and walk out the door. Without mom needing to do anything. THAT is potty trained.
If it makes you feel better, I quit 1 hour and 47 minutes into potty training Seara. :) She still is phobic about the toilet and I swear it's my fault for traumatizing her.
Elijah, on the other hand, is not quite 2 yet, and still in diapers, and has never once had a potty training lesson. (Okay, other than watching me go every time I go. Strange, I know, but kids learn by example and we don't have bigger kids. I always talk about it, too. "Look, mommy goes pee-pee (or poo-poo) in the toilet! Good girl mommy. Okay, get the toilet paper. Mommy wipes. Elijah, can you flush the toilet? Okay, now we wash hands.") Alright, so that is kinda training, but I never did anything other than that. (Obviously I don't make them come watch, but I tell them I'm going and invite them if they want to come.) But I have keep a small kid seat on the kid's toilet, and a stool in front of it. And suddenly this week he has gone poop in the toilet once, and pee every single day. He'll just randomly come up to me and tell me he wants to sit on the toilet, and then he runs to the bathroom, takes off his pants and diaper, and climbs up. He sits there for a bit, goes potty, I give him an m&m, and we're done. I don't ask him to, I don't punish him for being bad, I just reward him for being good. And so far it is working. He's going at his own pace, but I don't mind. I'll wait til my kids are 5 if it keeps me from having the kind of anxiety and anger I felt when I tried to train Seara for that hour and 47 minutes.
Holy novel. I'm gonna shut up now. I would delete this for being so long, but now I've spent all this time and it seems a waste to just delete it. I'm sorry about Andrew! Things will work out, eventually. It isn't worth your feeling upset. I love you!!
i've said it before, and i'll say it again: potty training is the bain of any parent's existence!!! Andrew isn't ready if he doesn't "get it" You have made an excellent decision! I will back you up 100%. When we see you, Annie and Brooke can show him what they do and maybe something will click. And maybe not because they are all girls and don't have the equipment he does.... I definitely agree with Janae, though, about letting potty time be a good time for the kid. We traumatized Emma and that set us back 6months with her. But you know, most normal adults are potty trained. He'll get it.
Hey Krishele! I found your blog through Janae's and just wanted to stop in and say HI! Your family is beautiful and it sounds like you guys are doing all the same things we are. (We're potty training our 2nd one too right now.) Good luck!
Fun to see your blog. I gotta tell you how cool it is to see that good ol' name. I wonder how far back we'd have to look to see if Jase and I are related.
I know I heard you talking about this last night but reading your frustration I guess I understand more. If it makes you feel any better Dave's nephew is 3 1/2 and still doesn't want to be potty trained. Dave's sister is so easy going that she continues to change his diapers. This seems to be OK with her but I know that by 3 my kids will be going in the toilet. I figure you are getting a head start if you are trying to get him to accept the concept before 3. I know it is hard but try to be more patient. Take a deep breath! You are a great mom!!
I just noticed your countdown to Disneyland! I was just watching "Samantha Brown Goes to Disneyland" on the travel channel. It made me really want to go. Can I stow away in your luggage? :)
I MUST be part of the very minute minority -- my kids just decided they wanted to go pee pee on the big potty and wear big girl panties and they did it!! (Of course I didn't start on Becca till she was 3+ and Brooke till she was 2.5 I didn't even attempt the early stuff) But don't get to dishartened, you don't see too many teenagers in diapers :-)
Just don't stress it, he'll get interested now that you've introduced him, just encourage him once in a while and see what he thinks/does and when it becomes much less of a fight -- go for it!!! But you are BY NO MEANS A QUITTER!!!!! It is next to impossible to get a toddler to do something he/she doesn't want to if they can control it themselves.
Love you, good luck!!!
Post a Comment