Thursday, August 19, 2010

Texting

texting (těkst-ing), noun: the sending of text messages via cell phones or other mobile devices

Consider this excerpt out of a magazine I read: "I was out for a sushi dinner recently with three girlfriends, happily engrossed in a power session of gossip and catch-up when, somewhere between the miso soup and the spicy tuna rolls, I noticed a friend across from me had her head down and was staring into her lap. It took only a second for me to realize that, duh, she wasn't about to cry; she was on her BlackBerry. By this point, the others had figured it out, too, and we entered into that awkward but now commonplace practice of downgrading to small talk and vamping until our friend rejoined us and real conversation could resume."

Ok, so I know that to live this world, I have to be tolerant of the rampant texting epidemic that has recently consumed our society. I don't want to be that up-tight person who always sighs loudly when someone picks up their phone to text, who does? But seriously people, pecking at a phone during a conversation or meal should be as outrageous as leaving your lump of chewed up gum on the side of your dinner plate for everyone at the table to enjoy observing. We have this small window of time right now when we can actually do something to stop the madness.

Now, I have 250 texts a month so I'm not completely obsolete and lame.  But, I'm not totally engrossed in the texting world either, and I don't condemn those who are. Texting is fine, just do it on your own time.

P.S. Don't even get me started on texting while driving...

2 comments:

janae said...

I don't understand why people can't be satisfied with other people. Seriously, you need to carry on three conversations via text because I can't provide stimulating enough conversation? So rude. I'm with you 100%

Stacy Lynn Carroll said...

I totally agree!! I can't say I haven't been guilty of this at one time or another, but Matt and I agreed that when we're with people, we need to be with people. Texts can wait. They are not typically a life or death situation!