So I have vowed to only post when I have a funny/important experience that I feel others will enjoy/love...I haven't been very good about that vow. Anyways, I want to share a short experience that happened to our family today that highlights the importance of giving service as a family (this is important AND funny, so stay with me). We visited an elderly woman (we'll call her Sister Elderly) today who lives in a retirement community near our home. She is a member of our ward and it was brought to our attention that she was lonely and loves children. Little did she know what was in store when we made the visit (with our children, of course).
Sister Elderly was delighted to have a visit and instantly started stuffing my children with toys, cookies, and candy. They warmed up to her rather quickly. After chatting with her for a while, Andrew decided to start asking Sister Elderly some questions. Now, if you don't know Andrew, he can really get talking when he wants to. So he says, "Are you really old, old, old, old, old, old (at this point I wanted to throw something at him), old, old, old (maybe add ten more, i don't know), lady?" Sister Elderly waited through the "old's" and lovingly said "Yes, I'm very old". Then Andrew says "Old, old, old, old (add another too many olds) people die. Sister Elderly responded "Young people die too."
Sister Elderly probably thought he was a pretty funny kid, but I wanted to kill him (based on her reply to him, she might have been threatening him, we're not sure). It didn't take us long to leave after that, but despite my innocent son's remarks, I could tell that we had just made Sister Elderly's day. She asked us to make sure and wave at her window when we got out to the car (which we did).
To add to the humor of the visit, another elderly woman entered the elevator with us as we were leaving. I asked her what floor she was headed to and she says "I don't know where the hell I'm going, I just want some food". Apparently, she didn't know where the cafeteria was, or maybe she forgot where the cafeteria was. Well, until next year (mas o menos), I hope this was an enjoyable read.
4 comments:
That's funny. As Art Linkletter used to say, "Kids Say the Darndest Things!" Brooke actually told me the other day that when she grows up I will be dead and her mom will be a grandma. True, but rather blunt :-/
I just read through all your 'new' posts. Been out of the blogging world a bit myself with the move and all. First of all I have to say I'm so excited for you guys experiancing all that fun historical stuff. Second, Has your house sold? I hope so, I know how stressful that is!
My heart ached to read the post about the move, and decorating for Christmas just to make it feel like Christmas. We've made that move twice now and I hope to never do it again!
Relief Society President!?! Is it ok that I choked and laughed? You will be awesome, but just know how alike we are I wonder how you do it? Do you bite you tongue constantly? Cause I would I'm sure. But then maybe you've matured faster than I over the last year :)
Love you and miss you! Enjoy your adventures! :)
JASON! You are hilarious! You should post more. :) I tell that to Sam too, but he doesn't listen, so I doubt you will either. But still, that was super funny. You are a great writer.
LOL!!!!!
Post a Comment