Friday, October 16, 2009

Grand Teton National Park

Ok, ok, just one more summer post. I had to touch on this one.

So we took a back road up to where we had intended on going into Yellowstone again, but decided, spur of the moment, to head through Grand Teton National Park. I'm slowly getting better at this fly by the seat of my pants stuff.

This was a lake along the back (dirt) road. Those are all lily pads across the lake. It was pretty cool.


On the way through the park, we decided to stop and hike at Jenny Lake to Hidden Falls.



Remembering an exchange I had with a neighbor of mine over the fourth of July who told me how they got stuck up in the Tetons on a hike with summer clothes in a horrendous and cold rain storm, I suggested we take jackets with us. You know, tie them around our waists and stuff. Well, the sun was shining and needless to say my idea was quickly shot down by the other adult in our party (I'm not naming any names). It was a beautiful hike. The kids really enjoyed themselves as well. That is, until we got caught in a lightning/rain/hail storm not too far from reaching the falls. I was never more authorized to use the "I told you so" phrase than at that moment. It turned out fine. The falls were magnificent.



And we only had to endure whining, cold, wet kids for a little while. Needless to say, we forked out the cash to take the boat back across the lake instead of hiking back around it. More good times. :)

*I just had to take a picture of this sign. It speaks for itself.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Might I add that we decided against going to those meadows...we weren't sure if the sign was a warning of what to expect, or a premonition of what we were to become. Best to avoid it altogether.

Belnap Family said...

Hahaha, that sign is GREAT!!

janae said...

Your pictures are gorgeous! You seriously are getting good at the wing-it thing. Sam and have constant told-you-so moments over things like jackets (we seem to take turns at who is right and who is wrong). Oh, and Jason: your comment was hilarious! Both Sam and I laughed out loud. :)

Sharee said...

I love the hike around Jenny Lake. It looks like you had a fun time...minus the rain.