Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Zhu Zhu Pet Troubles

We were introduced to the world of Zhu Zhu pets by my sister who got Kate one for her birthday. Andrew thought it was so cool that he had to have one too.

Meet Scoodles and Rocky.


Scoodles (the brown one) is Kate's and Rocky (the black one) is Andrew's. Scoodles seemed to be just fine on his own. That is, until Rocky came onto the scene. Rocky seems to be a bit of an instigator. Ever since Andrew brought Rocky home, those hamsters have been getting into all sorts of trouble. Every night after everyone is in bed, they wander the house. The first night they got into some pretzels on the counter. Then, they started messing with the computers. Jason told Kate and Andrew that they had better get their hamsters under control or they are going to the pound. Every morning they are up to something else, running on the banister, hiding in the hot cocoa mugs, cuddling in a blanket (as seen above).

They seem to have a bit of a sweet tooth as well. As soon as the Easter bunny left, they sprung into action. We found Scoodles digging in Kate's Easter basket and Rocky had busted open an egg and was feasting on the candy.


But this week, it got really personal for Kate. She woke up to her last two homemade sugar cookies from Easter gone. And who but Scoodles and Rocky were sitting on the empty plate surrounded by cookie crumbs and leftover sprinkles. In an effort to keep them from wandering about at night, they got caged up in Kate and Andrew's new bug boxes to keep them under wraps.


Exhibit A: The empty bug boxes after the prisoners escaped during the night


It didn't work as well as planned. They got out again! This time they "ate" the whole bucket of Kate and Andrew's Easter candy. (Or so the kids thought. We ended up finding the bucket with the candy in one of the cupboards. The hamsters hid it to get into later and had put another in its place as a decoy.)

Exhibit B: Caught in the act-an empty Easter candy bucket

Scoodles got spanked and Andrew was so mad at Rocky that he threw him down the stairs! Obviously, the kids couldn't control this growing problem so Jason had a serious talk with these naughty little hamsters. Since then, they've pretty much stopped wandering around at night.


I guess we'll see how long that lasts....

5 comments:

janae said...

OH WOW. I love this. I love, love, love this. When I was in 3rd grade we made leprechaun traps and a leprechaun came and left green footprints and green sparkles everywhere. And a gold chocolate coin in each trap. I didn't believe in leprechauns before then, but I sure did after. Your little zhu zhu pets just reek of the same mischief. I love it!!

The Cleverleys said...

LOL, I cannot stop laughing! That is great! :o) Thank you! I needed that tonight! :o)

Unknown said...

I love it. We were also introduced to Zhu Zhu pets this Christmas by Mike's sister. They sure were a fun toy, until I was sound asleep and I hear "squeak squeak" in my ear and Madelyn saying "help me mom". I woke up to find the pet stuck in her hair. Drake set one on her head to be funny and the wheels got caught around her hair. I couldn't untangle it so I had to cut it. That happened 1 more time and then for some reason the pets "ran away". Hmmm?

Krishele said...

I guess the giant yellow sticker on both sides of the pet when you get it out of the package that says "To avoid entanglement, keep away from hair!" didn't totally sink into their heads, aye?

PB said...

The hamsters sound a lot like your bunny slippers - always sneaking around!!!