Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Socks & Shoes

Andrew has finally been starting to talk a lot more. He is actually trying to copy what we say and ask him to say. I'm really excited about this partly because I was a bit worried that he was a little slow and because it's just so darn cute. The sad thing is that it is just another reminder that he is growing up...too fast...never to return to baby-dom. I know, I know, it happens to all of us, but that doesn't make it any easier to swallow. My baby is no longer a baby...he's a full blown toddler! His favorite word to say isn't the typical mama or daddy (though it does tickle Jason pink when he walks in the door and Andrew comes running over calling "Daa-ddy, Daa-ddy!"). No, nothing normal like that. His favorite word is "socks". He loves to say "socks". In fact, it was one of the first words that he was actually really good at saying. He'd walk over and get his socks, one in each hand, hold them high above his head and chime "Socks!" The proud look on his face would have you think that he'd accomplished a most amazing feat like finding a cure for cancer or something. One of his other favorite pastimes is carrying his shoes around the house. He only has two pairs, but for how many I find and pick up throughout the day, you'd think he has 50. I find one in my bedroom and one halfway down the hall. I pick them up and put them back on the shoe rack by the door just to find the same pair somewhere else in the house five minutes later. And the funny thing is that a lot of the time I don't even see him take them off of the rack. I just find them in odd places throughout the house like they'd walked there by themselves. The other day, I found one of his shoes in place of my lotion bottle in the bathroom. I walk in to get some lotion on my hands and instead I find a shoe on the rack in my bathroom and no lotion. I suppose he thought it was a good trade. I, on the other hand, didn't. Unless I could have somehow found a way to moisturize my hands with a camouflage sandal. There are times that I do see him carrying his shoes around. And that's when he brings them to me because he wants to go outside. This also happens frequently throughout the day. If he's desperate enough, he'll bring me one pair of his shoes and then come back with the other. Shortly thereafter, if I haven't taken his hint, I look up and he's bringing me my shoes. At that point, I usually give in and stop what I'm doing and take the kids outside (weather allowing, of course). It's good that I have little people around me to remind me to put aside the to-do list and just take a moment to enjoy some sunshine and fresh air. It's then that I realize, "Yeah, I'd rather be out here anyway."

9 comments:

Belnap Family said...

You are such a crack up! I smiled reading your post because it all sounds so familiar. I love that he brings you your shoes when you don't get the hint! :)

B.T.W. Every time we go anywhere, Lucy is yelling out "Andrew!" I think she is looking for her boyfriend...

janae said...

What a sweetheart! I love how kids get so darn cute as they get big!! Don't miss babydom too much. If you do, maybe you'd like to take this one after its born for, I don't know, its first year of life? Or at least 9 months. Cuz I don't think they are all that amazing for the first 9 months. Cute because their yours, but mostly whiny, old man-ish. Honestly. :)

janae said...

Their yours? I really need to proofread before posting a comment. THEY'RE yours. Oh yeah, and IT'S born, not its born. Shoot. I really need to stop being pregnant and dumb!!

MadMadameMim said...

How cute I love when they start doing things like that. What a fun post, it totally made me smile. for me this is when the real fun starts, the little people attempting to communicate so makes me giggle.

Heather said...

It's not so strange to have his favorite word "socks" Brooke's first and most favorite word was, and still is, "shoes" -- she is such a girl!! Just look out, he might get bored just bringing the shoes and soon start throwing them at you :-)

Perkins said...

Well girl I think Andrew says."Cookie" really cute too. Anyway I think our picnic will have to be postponed because there is white stuff falling from the sky. Unless in magically stops and the sun comes out. Which is possible in Idaho. I will keep my fingers crossed.

Sharee said...

This post also made me smile. You have very cute kids. Thanks for the reminder to cherish everyday with my newborn it seems like he has already changed so much and he is only 3 days old.

Gramma B said...

Seeing pictures and hearing stories about your cute family helps bring them a little closer to me. How I miss seeing all of you more often. What "unique" little things little kids do to make us chuckle. They grow up way too fast - good thing memories last forever!

I'm a little slow, so I'll comment here instead of on the cute picture of Kate and Andrew with the dishwasher box. Remember all the boxes you girls used to play in. You would spend hours playing "house". Oh, the memories. Love you.

Kimberly said...

I loved this post. I can totally relate. Benson's favorite word is shoes and they MUST be on his feet if he spots them.